Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

Antifreeze chemicals are commonly found in households. It could be found dripping from a car’s radiator or added to a toilet bowl during the cold months to avoid freezing of pipes and could be picked off by the dog. Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol that makes it lethal. Antifreeze is has a bright green color and sweet taste and although it has a repulsive aftertaste, by the time the aftertaste kicks in, it is usually too late. Even small amounts of ethylene glycol can cause fatal damage to the system. Antifreeze poisoning affects the brain, liver, and kidneys.

Some common symptoms seen in cases of antifreeze poisoning are drunken behavior, euphoria/Delirium, wobbly, uncoordinated movement, nausea, vomiting, excessive urination, diarrhea, rapid heart beat, depression, weakness, seizures, convulsions, shaking, tremors, fainting, and coma

Leave a Comment