Aspirin Poisoning in Dogs

Aspirin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It has many beneficial effects including anti-platelet, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties and is therefore commonly found in households. However, it can also be toxic. Once ingested, aspirin forms salicylic acid, which is then distributed throughout the body.

The initial symptom is loss of appetite and could be accompanied with vomiting, diarrhea, and intestinal hemorrhage due to ulceration in the stomach and small intestines, trouble walking, appear weak and uncoordinated, collapse, and loss of consciousness as the central nervous system is affected. It could even be fatal.

Leave a Comment