Lead Poisoning in Dogs

Lead poisoning (also known as plumbism or painter's colic) is a medical condition caused by increased levels of the heavy metal lead in the body. The condition can occur due to ingestion or inhalation of products containing the element lead. The exposure can both be sudden (acute) and long-term (chronic). Through the ability to substitute itself for calcium and zinc in the body cells, lead damages the body cells and affects biological processes.

Most symptoms of lead poisoning are related to gastrointestinal (GI) and central nervous system (CNS). Chronic and low level lead poisoning cases generlly affect GI system while acute exposure to lead causes CNS symptoms.

Common symptoms include




Poor appetite

Abdominal pain

Regurgitation (due to megaesophagus)


Hysteria, extreme anxiety



Leave a Comment