Salmon Poisoning Disease (SPD) is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.
This disease typically begins in the tissues of the small intestine, where it causes hemorrhaging. It gradually becomes systemic, invading the entire body. The name of the disease is misleading because no toxin is involved.
Common symptoms of salmon poisoning include:
lack of appetite
swollen lymph nodes