Tick Medicine Poisoning in Dogs

Amitraz is an effective insecticide used in some brands of dog tick collars and topical solutions. It readily kills ticks and mites, but it is also used to treat demodectic mange. Toxicity from wearing the tick collar or receiving demodectic mange treatment is highly unlikely and most toxicity associated with this insecticide is due to ingestion by the pet. The dogs most commonly affected by amitraz toxicity are curious puppies.

Toxic levels of this drug will affect the dog’s nervous, endocrine/metabolic, and gastrointestinal systems. Lack of immediate and proper medication will lead to a comatose state or death.

The symptoms or the side effects of Amitraz on dogs usually appear within 2 to 6 hours after ingestion. They are



Uncoordinated movements





Leave a Comment